Who Do You Call To Report Drunk Driving?

Who Do You Call to Report Drunk Driving? 

Getting a drink and driving is one of the worst things you can do. Thousands of innocent victims are killed every year because someone thought it was a good idea to drive drunk. A simple call to a police department will help stop a potential tragedy. The good news is that there are several different ways to report a drunk driver to law enforcement. 

(Looking for a Car Accident Lawyer? Contact us Today! Click here: Nebraska Attorney)

Calling 911 to report a drunk driver is the best way to go. This is because a 911 call will connect you with your local police department, where the officers can then dispatch a member to investigate the incident. If you are unable to locate the vehicle or do not want to bother with a 911 call, you can also contact the California Highway Patrol by dialing *HP. However, this is only an option for those who are in the San Francisco Bay Area. 

If you are driving and you see someone doing something strange, such as swerving or running into dividers, it is a good idea to pull over. Once you are safely stopped, it is time to make the call. The first thing the dispatcher will ask you is for the location of the crime. They will then relay this information to the appropriate agencies. If you can describe the exact spot where the driver swerved or crashed, it will likely be easier for the police to track down the suspect. 

You can also find out whether or not the driver was a dunk by asking him or her to provide a few simple details. For instance, if you notice that the driver is running over curbs, you may be able to get a better idea of the drunk’s intoxication level by taking a photo of the license plate. While it is not a requirement, this will give the officer a bit of background information. 

It is also a good idea to call 911 to report a drunk driver, especially if you have witnessed a particularly erratic driver. The most obvious reason to do this is that a drunk driver can endanger you and other road users. Aside from the risk of injury, there is also the potential for criminal charges, which is why a 911 call is a wise move. 

If you are lucky enough to be able to make the call while you are in the driver’s seat, you should pull over in a designated parking space. Attempt to remain calm and give as much detail as you can about the suspected drunk driver’s vehicle. This will allow the police to find him or her and potentially charge them with a DUI. 

If you cannot make the call, the next best thing is to call your local police department. Alternatively, you could even call the Arizona Highway Patrol. The aforementioned California Highway Patrol also encourages its citizens to report a drunk driver to the appropriate authorities. 

Who Do You Call To Report Drunk Driving? | Montag Law Office