Which Insurance Protects You If You Are Injured By A Hit And Run Driver?

Which Insurance Protects You If You Are Involved in a Hit and Run Accident? 

When a hit-and-run driver strikes your vehicle, your insurance company can’t claim damages from the other driver’s insurance provider. That means you may have to pay for damages yourself. Some people have liability insurance only, which covers damage to other people’s property and bodily injury but doesn’t pay for your injuries. In some cases, you may even be stuck paying for repairs to your vehicle out of your pocket.

(Searching for Car Accident Lawyer’s Office in Omaha? Visit us today!)

Uninsured motorist coverage 

If you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, you may be able to recover damages from them. If you’re in an accident with an uninsured motorist, it’s important to know how to file an uninsured motorist claim. You must contact your insurance provider and provide the required information, which includes the license plate number of the other car. In addition, you should get as much information as you can from witnesses, such as their names and phone number. You should also take photographs of the accident scene. Once you have all the information, you can file your claim with your insurance provider, although you may need to wait a certain amount of time. 

It’s important to remember that the rate for uninsured motorist coverage varies by state. According to the Insurance Research Council, as of 2019, one in eight drivers was uninsured. That figure is higher in some states, like Mississippi, where the rate is 30 percent. By contrast, Massachusetts has a 3.5 percent uninsured motorist rate. Another factor to consider is the coverage limit. Generally, drivers use the same limits for uninsured motorist coverage as for their liability insurance, so higher limits will result in higher premiums. 

Collision coverage 

Collision coverage is important if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident because it covers damage to your vehicle and will compensate you for your medical expenses. Collision coverage is typically sold with a deductible. If the other driver has insurance, you can try to claim the amount from his policy. If that doesn’t work, you can try to recover the money from your own insurance company. 

If you are injured by a hit-and-run driver, you should get medical attention as soon as possible. In some cases, the injuries from a collision may not be apparent until days after the accident. To avoid complications later, call your insurance company as soon as possible. In some cases, filing a report will allow you to receive compensation even if the other driver can’t be found. 

Collision coverage may not be available to you if the other driver does not have auto insurance. It may be necessary to file a claim with your own auto insurance company to get the money you need to repair or replace your car. The amount of your claim will depend on the deductible and policy limits. 

Property damage liability coverage 

In addition to liability insurance, hit-and-run drivers are often underinsured and may not be covered by your policy. You may be able to find uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage separately, which pays for damage to your car from a hit-and-run. However, you must be aware of the nuances of uninsured motorist coverage. 

It is illegal to leave the scene of an accident. The penalties for this type of behavior can be very serious, and you could lose your license. While you may feel frustrated and angry, it is possible to file a claim for damage to your car through the other driver’s liability insurance. 

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run driver, it is important to call the police and file a police report as soon as possible. This will help the police investigate the incident and help you claim damages. It will also be helpful to take pictures of the scene of the accident, which will provide concrete evidence to the police and insurance company, easing the claim process. 

Which Insurance Protects You If You Are Injured By A Hit And Run Driver? | Montag Law Office