When is Something A Hit-and-Run?

What to Do If You Are the Victim of a Hit and Run 

If you’ve been in a car accident, there are certain things that you should do to help ensure that your safety is protected. One of those is to get yourself to a safe place and to make sure that you call the police. 

(Looking For a “Motorcycle injury lawyer“? Contact us today?)


Regardless of whether you are the victim or the driver, you should always report your accident to the police. This is to help them find the person who hit you, and also so that they can gather any information or physical evidence that may be helpful in their search. 

DO Immediately Report the Accident to the Police

You may be tempted to wait until you can locate the other driver, but this could be a mistake. Not only could it be difficult for the police to locate them, but you might lose your chance at making a claim through your insurance company as well. 

DO Gather Witnesses and Contact Information

If there are witnesses, they can give you crucial details about what happened that may be useful in your case. Be sure to get their names, phone numbers and email addresses, as well as other important information. This will be very helpful to the police and your lawyer if they need to pursue a lawsuit against you. 

DO Obtain the Vehicle License Plate Number and Identification of the Driver

If the other driver is still driving, you can get their name, address and insurance information from their license plate. This will help the police and your lawyer to track down the driver in order to recover compensation for your damages. 

DO Take Photos of the Damages

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run, you will likely have injuries. This is especially true if you are a pedestrian, and it’s best to get the proper medical attention as soon as possible. 

DO Ask for Witnesses’ Information

The people who saw the accident will be very helpful in helping you identify the hit-and-run driver. They might be able to tell you where the other vehicle was, or what time the collision occurred. If they can, get them to record their statements on a note, so that you have them available if you need to consult with a lawyer later. 

DO Ask the Driver’s Insurance Agency for More Info

If you have uninsured motorist coverage, your car insurance company will be able to help you with any damages that resulted from the hit and run. This will include any medical bills, property damage or lost wages that you had to miss. 

DO Try to get a picture of the license plate that was used by the hit and run driver. If the driver is a minor, you might be able to get their name and a photo of their face for the police officer’s records. 


The police will be able to assist you with your case and give you valuable insight into what to expect from a criminal trial. They will likely recommend that you hire a professional legal team to help with your case, so be sure to consult with an experienced attorney to learn more about your rights and the next steps in the aftermath of the crash. 

When is Something A Hit-and-Run? | Montag Law Office