What To Do When Your In A Car Accident And The Other Person Gets A Lawyer?

What to Do When You in a Car Accident and the Other Person Gets a Bad Rap? 

If you’ve recently been in a car accident, you’ve probably wondered what to do next. If you’ve been injured, or the other person’s car has been damaged, call 911. If your car has been damaged, exchange insurance information and take pictures of both cars to help with insurance claims. You might also consider getting a lawyer. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to consult an attorney right away.

(Looking for “attorneys automobile accidents“? Contact us today!)

After a car accident 

If you’re involved in a car accident, the first thing you should do is get the other driver’s license. If you can, get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and insurance information. If possible, also get the witnesses’ names and phone numbers. All of this information will help your insurance company process the claim. You should also write down any witnesses to the accident. You should keep this information with you in your car, just in case. 


The first step to filing a claim after a car accident is gathering evidence. To help prove liability, it’s a good idea to take pictures of any damage to your car or the other person’s vehicle. These photos can help prove who was at fault for the accident and reduce the uncertainty of who paid for the damage. Moreover, these photographs serve as concrete evidence and prove the extent of the damage. 

Comparative fault 

When in a car accident, figuring out who was at fault is not easy. Some accidents are fairly clear-cut, while others aren’t. In these situations, a theory called comparative fault may come into play. This theory lets one driver recover damages equal to the percent of a fault the other party was at fault. For example, a left-turning driver could claim 60% of the damages incurred by a red light runner. On the other hand, a red light runner could recover 40% of the damages. 

Getting a lawyer after a car accident 

You should always consult an attorney if you have been injured in a car accident. Insurance adjusters are not always on your side. They’re only looking out for their bottom line and the shareholders, not you. Even if you weren’t hurt, they’ll find reasons to deny your claim. Getting an attorney’s help will protect your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. You may be able to settle your case on your own, but you should still get legal advice to protect your interests. 

Keeping children out of the car 

One of the most important things to do after a car accident is to keep children out of the vehicle. Children may be scared or disobedient, but it is important to keep them calm. They should be buckled in child safety seats so that they cannot fall out or be trapped in the back seat. These seats can make all the difference in the outcome of a car accident. Parents should also make sure that their child’s car seat fits correctly, and that they are wearing an age-appropriate seat. 

Getting a police report 

Getting a police report after a collision is easy if you know where to look. Most precincts maintain copies of accident reports for 30 days after the accident. You can visit a precinct to obtain a copy of the report or request it online from the NYPD portal. However, you must be a New York resident to access this service. If you live outside of New York, call the precinct where the accident occurred. 

Getting insurance information 

When in an accident, make sure you get the other driver’s insurance information. Your insurance company will need this information to file a claim. Most insurers offer a checklist you can download onto your mobile phone or print out and keep in your glove compartment. It is also a good idea to take photos of the scene of the accident and document who was in each vehicle. It is also a good idea to take the names and phone numbers of any witnesses.

What To Do When Your In A Car Accident And The Other Person Gets A Lawyer? | Montag Law Office