What Is The Death Percentage Of Motorcycle Accidents?

What is the Death Percentage of Motorcycle Accidents in the United States in 2020? 

Unlike other forms of motorized vehicles, motorcycles are not equipped with enclosed vehicle protection. This is why motorcycle riders have a higher risk of sustaining an injury or dying in an accident. The odds of being killed in a motorcycle accident are 30 times higher than the odds of being killed in a car. Therefore, motorcyclists need to wear helmets and wear appropriate safety gear. However, despite these precautions, there are still several motorcyclists who die in traffic accidents. The number of motorcycle deaths in the United States has been steadily declining since the decade-high numbers of the 2000s. 

(Looking for a Car Accident Lawyer? Contact us Today!)

In 2020, motorcycle fatalities made up 14 percent of all motor vehicle fatalities. This figure is lower than the numbers recorded in the past decade but remains higher than the rate of car fatalities. Motorcycle fatalities were 29 times more common than car deaths per mile. 

In 2020, motorcyclists aged 25-29 made up the largest age group involved in motorcycle fatalities. Motorcyclists between the ages of 25-29 were involved in 45 percent of fatal crashes. It is also important to note that speeding was a factor in 33% of motorcycle fatalities. 

Some other factors can contribute to the high rate of motorcycle accidents in urban areas. These include construction, debris, and more pedestrians. Urban areas tend to have more traffic, and they have more pedestrians, bicyclists, and emergency vehicles. Therefore, motorcyclists have to exercise more caution in urban areas. 

The most dangerous time to ride a motorcycle is the morning, afternoon, and evening hours. Most motorcycle fatalities occur during the daytime. This is because motorcycles are not as stable as cars. The weather also plays a role. Approximately 33% of motorcycle accidents are caused by rain or wet weather. However, this does not mean that you should avoid riding at these times. 

During the day, motorcyclists have a slightly higher chance of surviving a crash. However, motorcycles are less visible than cars, and they are often driven for fun and pleasure. The odds of surviving an accident without sustaining an injury are 80%. In contrast, the chance of surviving a crash without sustaining an injury is only 20% in a car. 

It is also important to note that a small percentage of motorcycle fatalities are caused by alcohol. For instance, 15% of motorcycle fatalities involve a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) that is over twice the legal limit. This is important to note because BAC levels can still affect drivers’ ability to drive. If you have a BAC of 0.05%, you will have blurred vision, which makes it difficult to see. You may also be more likely to make a bad decision. 

When it comes to helmet use, there are several states where helmet use is not mandated. The percentage of motorcyclists who died in an accident that did not wear a helmet in 2020 ranged from 46 percent in West Virginia to 97 percent in Washington. However, 19 states required helmet use for all motorcycle riders in 2020. 


What Is The Death Percentage Of Motorcycle Accidents? | Montag Law Office