How To Report A Hit And Run To Insurance?

How to Report a Hit and Run to Insurance? 

If you are injured in a hit-and-run accident, you need to report the accident to insurance as soon as possible. Reporting the accident will help the police identify the guilty party, and it will help the insurance company as well. Most insurance companies require that you report hit-and-run damage within 24 hours.

(Looking for a Car Accident Lawyer? Contact us Today! Click here: auto and truck accident Lawyer)


If you’ve been in a hit-and-run accident, it can be a nightmare. Not only are you dealing with the damages caused by the other driver, but you also have to deal with insurance issues. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to get the insurance company to acknowledge your claim. 

First, call 911 or your local police department. Report the accident within 24 hours and make sure the police have all the information they need. A detailed report is vital in helping the police apprehend the other driver and getting a claim from your insurance company. 

Don’t follow a fleeing driver 

If you have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, call the police and give them all the information they need to find the offending driver. Then, file a police report and inform your car insurance company as soon as possible. If the driver is not located by the time you contact your car insurance company, it will be more difficult to make a claim. 

If the fleeing driver is identified, law enforcement officers may use evidence to determine whether drugs or alcohol were involved in the accident. They may even go to the fleeing driver’s home or workplace to try to find the driver. 

File a claim with the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation 

The Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC) is an insurance program in the state of New York that provides no-fault bodily injury benefits to those who are injured in motor vehicle accidents. However, some requirements must be met before you can file a claim. The first step is to fill out a claim form. This form must be notarized and include your full name, date of birth, and address. Additionally, you must provide proof that you have no other insurance. Once the MVAIC has received the completed form, it will assign a claims adjuster and begin the review process. 

If you are in an accident, you should report it to the police within 24 hours. You should also file a Notice of Intention to File with the MVAIC, otherwise known as an NOI. The timeframe to file the NOI varies depending on the type of accident and the type of vehicle involved. The MVAIC must receive a completed claim form within 180 days or 90 days, depending on the type of accident. In addition, a household affidavit must be submitted within 30 days of the accident. 

Avoid being a victim of a hit-and-run 

There are several steps you should take if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident. It’s essential to contact witnesses and the police and stay at the scene until help arrives. Don’t try to chase the other driver; doing so can put you in a dangerous situation. If you are in a car accident, make sure to stop and check on any passengers. If necessary, call 911 and write down the details of the accident. 

Once the police arrive, you must try to find the car’s owner. Chances are, they live close to the accident scene. If you are unable to find the owner of the car, you may face charges of animal cruelty or fleeing the scene of the accident. The punishment for a hit-and-run depends on the type of damage and injuries caused, and state laws vary. 

How To Report A Hit And Run To Insurance? | Montag Law Office