How Many Fatal Motorcycle Accidents Occur Each Year? 

How many fatal motorcycle accidents occur each year? 

Motorcycle accidents can be devastating, and unfortunately, they often result in fatalities. Every year, thousands of motorcyclists are involved in accidents, and a significant percentage of those accidents are fatal. Understanding the number of fatal motorcycle accidents that occur each year is crucial in helping to prevent future tragedies. 

(Looking for an “Omaha car accident lawyer“? Contact us today!)

Injury Attorney


According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2019, 5,014 motorcyclists were killed in crashes. This represents a slight decrease from the previous year, but the number of fatalities is still concerning. Additionally, the number of motorcyclist fatalities has increased by approximately 28% since 2009, despite advances in motorcycle safety technology and increased public awareness campaigns. 

One possible reason for the increase in motorcycle fatalities is the rise in the popularity of motorcycles as a form of transportation. More people are choosing to ride motorcycles due to their fuel efficiency and lower cost, but this increased usage also means there are more opportunities for accidents to occur. Furthermore, the increase in the number of cars and trucks on the road means that motorcyclists are more likely to be involved in accidents with larger vehicles. 

The majority of fatal motorcycle accidents involve collisions with other vehicles. In fact, in 2019, 78% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved a collision with another vehicle, with the remaining 22% being single-vehicle accidents. This highlights the importance of sharing the road and being aware of other vehicles on the road, particularly for motorcyclists who are more vulnerable to injury in an accident. 

The age of motorcyclists also plays a role in the number of fatal accidents. According to the NHTSA, in 2019, the largest percentage of motorcyclist fatalities occurred in riders aged 40-49, followed by riders aged 50-59. This suggests that older riders may be more susceptible to accidents due to declining reaction times and decreased physical abilities. However, it is important to note that riders of all ages are at risk of accidents, and it is crucial for all riders to take the necessary precautions to protect themselves on the road. 

Finally, it is worth noting that not all fatal motorcycle accidents are the fault of the rider. In some cases, accidents are caused by other drivers on the road who fail to see or yield to the motorcycle. These accidents can be particularly devastating because the motorcyclist often bears the brunt of the impact. 

In conclusion, fatal motorcycle accidents are a serious issue that affects thousands of riders each year. While the number of fatalities has decreased slightly in recent years, it is still a concerning trend. To help prevent future tragedies, it is crucial for all riders to take steps to protect themselves on the road, such as wearing a helmet, obeying traffic laws, and taking motorcycle safety courses. Additionally, it is important for all drivers to be aware of motorcyclists on the road and to take steps to share the road safely. By working together, we can help reduce the number of fatalities and injuries caused by motorcycle accidents. 

How Many Fatal Motorcycle Accidents Occur Each Year?  | Montag Law Office